years end in search of better
It is the evening of christmas day as I write. Two days ago it was back into the deep freeze here. This unrelenting cold has got me thinking about where else a person could live. There are many warmer locales however they too have their drawbacks. I'll keep looking but I'm becoming ever more suspicious that there is no eden ,not yet. Unemployment in my life is a concern as well. I have plenty of moral support but its not the same as working. I wonder if I'll ever do what I really love doing. By all appearances a career in the financial sector is not in the cards. It seems they want college grads fresh out of school rather than exp. old guys. In a lot of ways I don't blame them. I'm back to leanin on my exp. in farming.
I continue to analyse and calculate the feasibility of leasing a facility to run sheep and train dogs.My own self confidence is making me analyse again and again.
Having seen a brief review of the sheep sales at agribition gets you thinking about buying sheep now with prices so good. Is this a bubble or the new normal ? Of the sellers would have you believe it a new normal. So would I if i was selling. But as the predation problem stays or increases how many people want to stay in ? Even in what I love I feel skepticism creeping in. Speaking of skepticism I also wonder about the demand for a good herding dog in this area. Livestock producers will spend 3000.00 dllars on a horse rather than spend 2000.00 on a dog (dogs are free). Don't get me wrong I appreciate a good horse but when I do the math $1000/yr. to keep a horse and $400/yr to keep a dog ,well I never was good at math but a dog is a better buy based on $ and work done. Maybe that should be my crusade, but my lack of tact probably wouldn't win many converts. Besides you ever talked to a cattleman? Corb lund's song 'truck got stuck' wasn't about trucks it was about the minds of cowboys. I am qualified to make such a remark having lived in that culture for near 30 years. Things to think about our stubborness and rigidity. a lack of self confidence and the herd mentality that humans have. Iwonder will people ever change? Will I ever change?
Labels: Year end

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home